Global Used Oil and Re-refined Lubricants: Market Analysis and Opportunities
Base Year: 2018 and 2019 Preliminary Estimates
Published November 2019
Forecasts to 2023 and 2028
Regional Coverage: Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, North America, South America
The used oil re-refining market has evolved tremendously in the last decade. From being a disposal liability, used oil is now a product with significant economic value. The growth in basestock prices created the incentive to maximize used oil collection. At the same time, the used oil collection infrastructure and re-refining technology continues to improve. This motivated the development of a number of re-refining projects, especially in North America. However, in the recent years, growth of the re-refining industry has been limited due to lack of enforcement of regulations in developing countries, customer perception about re-refined basestocks and lubricants, and low crude oil price resulting in low prices of virgin basestocks. Finding solutions to these challenges will be key for any re-refiner to be successful in this industry.
This Report Helps Subscribers to Understand:
- What is the material flow leading from finished lubricants to used oil and collection and disposal in different regions?
- How are collected used oils disposed in terms of energy recovery, re-refining, and other applications?
- What is the used oil collection infrastructure and preferred disposal routes in each region/country?
- What are the target markets for re-refined oils? Which finished lubricant product/market segments use re-refined basestocks, and why?
- Who are the leading used oil collectors and re-refiners in each region/country?
- What is the outlook for re-refined basestocks industry?
Overview of key findings
Country/Regional Market Profiles
Detailed regional profiles focusing on key markets (listed in Table 1) are provided, including the following information:
- Economic background
- Vehicle population
- Used oil and re-refining regulations
- Finished lubricant demand, used oil generation, and re-refining material balance
- Used oil collection and disposal
- Used oil re-refining market overview
- Market outlook and evaluation
- Opportunities and challenges
Scope & Benefits
Global Used Oil and Re-refined Lubricants: Market Analysis and Opportunities provides a detailed independent appraisal of this complex market and explores market opportunities and challenges for used oil collectors, re-refiners, lubricant blenders, and marketers, worldwide. Key insights provided in the report include the following:
- Assessment of material flows from finished lubricant to used oil collection to used oil disposal and re-refined basestocks production in different regions including a discussion on used oil collection infrastructure and regulations
- Assessment of different routes to dispose collected used oil – including energy recovery, re-refining, and other end-uses
- Profiles of current and emerging re-refining suppliers by region/country
- Evaluation of re-refined basestocks and lubricants and their key end-use segments
- Analysis of market trends, growth drivers and restraints, and regulation
- Evaluation of re-refined basestock suppliers at a global and regional level
- Evaluation of market opportunities and challenges
This report assists used oil collectors, re-refiners, lubricant blenders, and marketers in identifying opportunities within the global used oil re-refining industry. It also serves as an invaluable tool in the strategic planning process. Specifically, the report helps subscribers:
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends and developments that are driving the used oil re-refining market
- Understand market, regulatory, technology, and other trends and their impact on the re-refining industry
- Identify end-use markets and applications with high potential for growth and the challenges and barriers for catering these opportunities
- Identify key competitors and evaluate their market position
- Evaluate key market opportunities and challenges facing the business