Rx-to-OTC Switch Pipelines USA: Competitive Assessment
Published: May 2015
Base Year: 2013 and 2014
Forecasts through: 2019 and 2020
Regional Coverage: United States
This report provides subscribers with a comprehensive, objective assessment of Rx-to-OTC switch pipelines by company in the United States. This analysis includes assessments of prescription-only pharmaceutical companies, as well as pharmaceutical companies with both OTC and prescription units. The report provides details on recently approved switches and forecasts of future switches by company. Included in the forecasts will be future switches in existing OTC categories and projected switches that would create new OTC categories.
This report helps subscribers to:
- Assess Rx-to-OTC Switch forecasts by company
- Analyze regulatory and retail paradigm shifts and implications for future switches
- Cast a wide-net analysis for uncovering potential licensing opportunities
- Benchmark one company’s future switch potential against competitors
Features Kline’s proprietary FutureView Forecasting model with sales forecasts by company.
An executive briefing including the assessment of:
- Key trends and paradigm shifts
- Regulatory criteria for Rx-to-OTC switch
- Recent switches
- Corporate structures for Rx-to-OTC switch management
- Clinical study considerations
- Switch forecasts
Switch Pipelines by Company
Assessment of companies shown in Table 1 including assessments of future switches in existing OTC categories and those that may create new OTC categories, including overview of the condition, comparative analysis of prescription and OTC markets (where applicable), regulatory issues including patent expiration data, safety/ efficacy, potential nonprescription indications and claims, likelihood of switch and expected timing, sales forecasts, expected competitive response from both branded and private-label products. Categories with potential switch candidates are shown in Table 2.
FutureView Forecasting Model Contents
This report will include access to Kline’s proprietary and interactive FutureView forecasting model which is an Excelbased model accessed online. The model will provide Kline’s assumptions about the probability of switch and sales forecasts by company and therapeutic class. The assumptions in the model can be changed by users to revise sales forecasts or probabilities for companies and drugs included in this analysis or for other classes/drugs not profiled.
Scope & Benefits
Rx-to-OTC Switch Pipelines USA: Competitive Assessment is the 11th edition in Kline’s long running series of reports on Rx-to-OTC switch and seeks to examine future switch pipelines of OTC and prescription pharmaceutical companies. This report examines recent and future Rx-to-OTC switches by company in the United States. Each company’s switch pipeline will be analyzed on a case-by-case basis, and the forecast time horizon may differ for each.
For each company and drug class, this report will provide:
- Prescription drug sales for 2013 and 2014
- OTC sales for 2013 and 2014 (where applicable)
- Assessment of market dynamics including patent expirations, generic competition, advertising and promotions, and regulatory issues
- Likelihood and timing of switches
- Likely OTC claims/indications
- Sales forecasts through 2019 or 2020; however, this may vary depending on various variables and are noted as such
Rx-to-OTC Switch Pipelines USA: Competitive Assessment is an extensive industry resource used by sales, marketing, and business development executives in the pharmaceutical industry for competitive analysis, market investigation, acquisition screening, business planning, and strategic purposes. The report provides a comprehensive, objective assessment of Rx-to- OTC switch pipelines by company in the United States, examines key issues and implications that switches can have on the existing OTC market, and identifies opportunities for future growth from switches. Accurately predicting Rx-to-OTC switches and assessing their competitive impact is crucial for maximizing business opportunities, minimizing threats, and successfully constructing long term strategic plans. Specifically, the report provides subscribers with the following key deliverables:
- Up-to-date primary research on switches conducted with knowledgeable industry participants
- An objective perspective on future switches by company
- Ability to cast wide net and uncover potential licensing opportunities
- Realistic assessment of paradigm shifts and future implications
- Identification of future switches by company, by identifying categories with high likelihood of switch, with what timing, and forecasting sales potential
- A tool to use to benchmark your business against those of competitors
- Access to Kline’s proprietary and interactive FutureView forecasting model