More than 130 independent brands from around the globe, each with their unique concept and story, took over New York City’s Metropolitan Pavilion last week for this year’s Indie Beauty Expo (IBE). The event showcased the latest trends and new brands that are waiting to be discovered and hoping to follow in the footsteps of IT Cosmetics, GlamGlow, and NYX.
Natural beauty was certainly the theme at IBE, with more than 100 brands marked as green, clean, or both. Besides the obvious nature-inspired aesthetic, skin care products galore, and fascinated shoppers, here are a few brands that we thought were noteworthy:
- Korean-inspired skin care brand Aqua Reveal, which launched less than two years ago, caught our eye with its exfoliating water peels for the body, face, and lips. These products are formulated with a unique patent-pending blend of water and natural extracts, contain 95% or more natural and organic ingredients, and are free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and triclosans.
- Some may think shower caps are a trend of the past, but you may reconsider this once you discover the cap from All Caps. This beauty tool is designed for a customized fit, featuring innovative fabric technology to protect hair in the shower, at the spa, and during your sleep. Check out the photo below of the co-founder, Jessica Rowell, rocking her cap at IBE!
- Homei created the Shell Gel Light and Compact Gel Light for consumers who are tired of spending hours at a salon for an expensive gel manicure. These devices make it easy for anyone to give themselves a salon-quality gel manicure in the comfort of their home, and the brand also has 25 different gel nail polish colors which can be peeled off to avoid using acetone remover.
- LING Skin Care, a brand based on Asian beauty principles, may have been around for 40 years now, but its new Instant Lift Bar had shoppers forming a line to see what all the hype was about. This express 30-minute treatment uses the brand’s Energy Lift Machine invention, coupled with LING serums, to give an instant face lift.
- The natural theme becomes key in fragrances as well, with Raw Spirit using plants and unique natural ingredients of some of the world’s oldest cultures and communities.
To learn more about trending and up-and-coming indie brands, be sure to explore the new edition of our upcoming Beauty’s Most Buyable Brands: Global Competitive Assessment study. Expected to be published during spring 2017, the report will take a close look at various global indie brands and assess what makes them relevant in today’s marketplace.