[TREND 29] Pro Color Care and Thinning Hair Products Jumped
With salons forced to shut their doors because of the coronavirus pandemic, the professional hair care industry witnessed a shift in demand (roughly +15%) in Q2 vs. Q1 2020 for hair care products that help maintain color and manage roots. Products formulated for color care have historically occupied the largest market share; they gained even more in the first half of this year, holding a whopping 31.4% of the market pie. In addition, kits and multipacks of items for color care also saw a surge in demand as stockpiling products became a reality. As salons started to reopen, hair coloring services started to rebound but not at the same rate as products. Hair coloring service revenues in June 2020 were up nearly 2% over the last year.
Thinning hair products have also been trending for several years but more so in 2020 due to the pandemic outbreak, which has greatly contributed to increased stress levels. As such, product sales and salon services are expected to remain on a positive growth track despite bumpy sales throughout 2020. This is reflected in data from Kline PRO US, which showed that during Q2 — the worst period of 2020 — overall service sales were down more than 60%, but treatments for thinning hair were still up by over 20%. In the same period, sales of products for thinning hair were not down as steeply as overall salon sell-through.
- Lawn Care Pros Shift Spend on Pesticides & Fertilizers – Due in Part to Rising Labor Costs, Shortages
- D2C Companies, More Expected to Shape Personal Care Ingredients Market in India
- Electric Two-Wheelers: Why the Market is About to Go Into Overdrive
- Cosmetic Active Ingredients Are Winning, Driving Dynamic Growth
- Mexico’s Strong Export Market for Leather Benefits Synthetic Latex Polymers