Global Lubricant Basestocks
Regional Coverage: Africa and the Middle East, Asia-Pacific, Europe, North America, South America
The basestock capacity landscape has become more diversified, with new capacity added in recent years and more planned over the next few years. In contrast, the finished lubricant demand outlook is almost flat, expos¬ing basestock producers to shrinking margins and intense competition. On the other hand, trends in finished lubricant quality upgrade are driving demand for high-quality basestocks. The basestock market is poised to remain a buyer’s market.
This Report Will Help Subscribers to:
- Assess where the basestocks business is today and where it is going to be in the future
- Understand the critical supply and demand drivers
- Assess the future supply and demand for lubricant basestocks
- Understand the impact of electric vehicles on lubricant and basestock demand over the next 10 years
- Understand the availability of approved and unapproved Group III/III+ basestocks
- Impact of IMO 2020 regulations on basestocks availability
- Conduct manufacturing cost analysis of typical basestock plants under different crude oil price scenarios
- Conduct critical evaluation of basestock market pricing mechanism, price drivers, product premiums commanded based on key performance characteristics, and price outlook for key grades
Provides in-depth coverage of the nine basestock markets: Brazil, China, Japan, India, Indonesia, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and the United States.
Features a special focus on naphthenic basestocks!
Overall Market Summary
North America Basestock Market
Profiles of each region cover the following information:
- Market Overview
- Finished Lubricants Market (current demand by product types and viscosity grades, demand growth, and viscosity grade shifts)
- Formulation Trends
- Current and Projected Basestock Demand
- Key Basestock Supply Plants (capacity, production, viscosity grades produced by API group)
- Projected Capacity Addition, Capacity Creep, and Plant Closures
- Current and Projected Basestock Supply
- Basestock Trade
South America Basestock Market
Europe Basestock Market
Asia-Pacific Basestock Market
Africa and the Middle East Basestock Market
Basestock Pricing Analysis and Forecast
- Key grades of paraffinic basestocks (Group I, II, II+, and III) for Northeast Asia, Northwest Europe, and U.S. Gulf Coast
- Key grades of napthenic basestocks for U.S. Gulf Coast
Manufacturing Cost Analysis of Select Basestock Plants
- Europe Group I plant
- North America Group II plant
- Asia Group III plant
- South Korea
- United States
Each country market profile contains the following:
- Overview of the finished lubricant demand by end-use segment, product category, and product quality shifts: current and forecast (2019 to 2029)
- Basestock demand by segment, API groups, viscosity grades, and applications: current and forecast (2019 to 2029)
- Basestock supply by API Groups, viscosity grades and suppliers: current and forecast (2019 to 2029)
- Basestock capacity changes (2019 to 2029)
- Supply-demand balance by API Groups and viscosity grades: current and forecast
- Basestock trade
Special focus on naphthenic basestocks as an add-on report.
*Subject to charter subscriber input.
Scope & Benefits
Global Lubricant Basestocks: Market Analysis and Opportunities is an in-depth analysis of the global lubricant basestocks industry. Specifically, the report offers the following:
- Lubricant basestock demand and supply analysis at a global level and by key regions, covering Africa and the Middle East, Asia-Pacific, Europe, North America, and South America.
- Supply and demand estimates for API Group I, II/II+, III/III+, and naphthenic basestocks, as well as demand estimates for Group IV and Group V basestocks.
- Manufacturing cost analysis of typical Group I, II, and III basestock manufacturing plants.
- Analysis of current pricing levels and price forecast for various crude oil price scenarios.
Subscribers to the study receive an in-depth understanding of the current status the basestocks industry in terms of basestock supply, basestock application space and demand, lubricant formulation trends, basestock pricing mechanism, inter-region trade, inter-material competition, and manufacturing costs.
- Subscribers to the study receive supply demand models for each trade region. These models are an invaluable tool for conducting “what-if” analysis based on different assumptions of lubricant formulation approach, current viscosity grades and quality levels used, viscosity grade and quality level shifts, and overall lubricant growth.
- The study is a useful tool for sales, marketing, finance, technology and strategy personnel to quickly learn the fundamentals of the basestock business, understand lubricant basestock requirements of the leading end-use markets, and make business decisions.
As the leading global consultancy covering lubricants and functional fluids, Kline & Company has developed an analysis approach based heavily on primary research (in-person and telephone interviews). This approach has a proven track record as the most effective and reliable in analyzing the lubricant basestocks and finished lubricant and additives businesses, as well as in identifying business opportunities and threats.
Basestock supply information is developed based on interviews with all basestock refiners located in North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa, and the Middle East regions. Finished lubricant demand numbers are a result of primary research carried out in different country markets. “Market average” blend recipe sets for different regions will be developed on basis of interviews with a wide range of industry experts: formulators, additive suppliers, and basestock marketers. The “market average” blend recipe so developed is tested with a number of market participants and their feedback is incorporated where relevant. Basestock demand estimates follow from finished lubricant demand estimates and market average blend recipe.