Retail Landscape: OTC Drugs
A powerful retail image database for the OTC industry
To Be Published Monthly Starting in 2018
Regional Coverage: United States
This service will provide a fully searchable and categorized image database of OTC retail aisles, shelves, planograms, brands, categories, and companies across multiple channels of trade including category planogram/ whole aisle/end caps, brand placement/facings of major brands, on-shelf and in-aisle shopper marketing, instore promotions signage, private-label placement, and pricing.
This service will:
- Provide OTC management teams with a fully searchable, filtered, categorized image database
- Inform your team on multiple categories and competitive brands and classes of trade
- Offer an organized repository of important retail trends
- Ability to easily compare differences between retail channels, stores, and geographic regions
- Provide insight on pricing and promotional offers at the category and brand level
- Offer an objective source to track your brands’ instore promotions and placement and those of your competitors
- Help your team understand competitive brands’ placement, packaging, claims, and in-store promotions, which allows you to react quickly as information is updated regularly
- Provides timely images of planogram re-sets and shopper marketing initiatives
Images will be tagged and organized for easy reference allowing you to search and compare thousands of images by:
- Category (see Table 1)
- Brand name
- Retail channel (see Table 2)
- Retail store name
- Location (see Table 3)
- Date taken
OTC retail aisles, shelves, planograms, brands, categories, and companies across multiple channels are included. Images from approximately 100 retail stores captured each month.
A quarterly newsletter analyzing key trends in the image database will be included. Trends highlighted will include those by category, company, retail channel, and brand.
* Subject to charter subscriber input
Illustrative User Interface
|Table 1: Categories|
|Product Class/Category||Market Segments|
Antacids and anti-gas
|Tablets, liquids, H2s, PPIs, effervescents, adult and children's anti-gas products
Bulk producers, hyperosmotics, irritants/stimulants, mineral oils, salines, and stool softeners
Shelf-stable probiotic supplements
|General pain relievers
Other internal analgesics
|Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, naproxen sodium
Arthritis pain relievers, menstrual pain relievers
|UPPER RESPIRATORY PRODUCTS|
Cold and sinus
|Oral allergy, nasal allergy
Nasal sprays, salines, nasal strips, rubs, inhalants
|Table 2: Retail Channels|
|Drug and pharmacy chains||CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid|
|Food and grocery stores||Kroger, Safeway, Publix|
|Mass merchandisers||Target, Walmart|
|Nursinghomes/assisted living facilities|
|Table 3: Locations|
|Chicago, IL||Tuscon, AZ|
|Dallas, TX||Denver, CO|
|Los Angeles, CA||Portland, OR|
|Miami, FL||Raleigh, NC|
|New York, NY||Columbus, OH|
Scope & Benefits
The scope of this service will be changeable based on subscriber feedback. To begin, it will cover 12 OTC categories in three OTC product classes across chain drug stores/pharmacies, mass merchandisers, and food and grocery stores. There will be five urban areas and five suburban areas included in the U.S. market. Other geographies, OTC categories, brands, companies, and retail channels will be added in time to build a full OTC market image database over the course of one year. Product forms will include but not be limited to pills, tablets, caplets, capsules, liquids, liquigels, gummies, or other oral forms of OTC medications. Retail shelves in front of stores are captured; any nonprescription drugs sold BTC are not included. OTC retail aisles, shelves, planograms, brands, categories, and companies across multiple channels of trade are captured. Images from approximately 100 retail stores captured each month.
This report will provide OTC marketers with:
- A tool to learn what retail planograms look like across multiple OTC categories, competitive brands, and classes of trade.
- An objective source that tracks actual placement and promotions for your brands at retail.
- Provide insight on pricing and promotional offers at the category and brand level.
- Help your team understand competitive brands’ placement, packaging, claims, and in-store promotions, which allows you to react quickly as information is updated regularly.
- Assess private label’s impact on your brands in terms of shelf placement, pricing, and in-store promotions.
- Compare and contrast trends by retail channel and region of the country.
- A helpful tool for sales and marketing teams to have access to that can reduce the need for costly travel.
- Using our in-depth knowledge of the OTC market, Kline will provide a quarterly analysis of images highlighting trends by retail channel, category, brand, and company.
- Subscribers will be entitled to unlimited access which can be viewed on a laptop, tablet, or mobile device.
- The interface is easy to use, and intuitive functionality is provided.
- Full training and support is available.
- Ability to request custom images from specific retailers or locations at an additional charge.